User Experience Architect
Feb 2016 — Oct 2018
Created and executed a user-centered vision for Cybraics nLighten UI, an investigative tool for cybersecurity analysts powered by ML/AI.
- Worked closely with VP of Product to identify target market and shape product to meet their needs.
- Conducted qualitative and quantitative user research to discover pain points and validate ideas: user interviews, journey mapping, RITE testing, online surveys, and user analytics.
- Built cross-functional design and development team focused on rapid iteration.
- Collaborated with various business units to ensure designs met all needs and ensure buy-in to UCD processes.
- Performed all UI design and development work for the first 12 months of Cybraics' product development.
- Created an in-house product design language by blending concepts from best-in-class design languages with realities of day-to-day product needs.
User Experience Architect
June 2015 — Feb 2016
Provided guidance to development leadership on UI and UX matters.
- Served as liason between User Experience team and Engineering teams to promote cohesive development process.
- Advocated and won support for consolidating all UI development onto single UI framework to further usage of style guide and component library.
Technical User Experience Designer
Feb 2014 — June 2015
Served as technical expert for a team of designers and researchers building a suite of HR software.
- Rapidly built and revised UI prototypes to support user testing conducted by Usability Engineers.
- Advised User Experience Designers on technical concerns of their designs to ensure easy-to-implement UIs.
- Constructed style guide and component library to speed product implementation and encourage UI consistency across product lines.
Senior Software Engineer
Oct 2010 — Feb 2014
Worked as part of UI development team for an enterprise cybersecurity product.
- Interfaced with product management to lead design process for new features and product updates.
- Designed and implemented a sophisticated infographic-style reporting and dashboard system for customer appliance.
- Designed and built first generation of an appliance diagnostics interface, allowing drill-down into large datasets within the browser.
- Prototyped greenfield UI for new product line.
Consumer Source, a subsidiary of Primedia
Feb 2010 — Oct 2010
Worked in Agile team of Ruby developers maintaining several high-traffic real estate websites.
- Employed many Agile tools, including pair programming, continuous integration and TDD.
- Used git and GitHub for both project workflow and release management.
- Proactively refactored existing codebases for increased readability and maintainability.
- Implemented some of earliest uses of Redis in company.
Global Concepts, a subsidiary of McKinsey & Co.
July 2007 — Jan 2010
Served as sole application developer for office of business consultants. Controlled entire development process from collecting requirements to post-deploy maintenance.
- Developed Ruby on Rails application to license and deliver proprietary knowledge to clients.
- Optimized report generation for benchmarking study with Visual Basic. Reduced average completion time from 2+ days of full interaction to 1 hour of automated calculation.
- Created complex data validation system with custom JSON-to-query parser.
- Migrated several important datasets from Access and Excel files into SQL Server.